Thursday, July 31, 2008

Kugmallit Shelf Break 60m

Hi everyone, I can’t remember exactly what the last thing I wrote on my blog was, and since I was in Tuk and had Internet I wrote it right on the blog, didn’t save it to my computer. So, I apologize if there is any over lap, and I hope I got my dates right, cause the days at sea run into each other. But I think I have it straight.

It was the 30th that we spent the day heading for Tuk to weathered the winds. It was a bit after midnight we were cruising again out toward the continental shelf break.

July 31st we fished at a 60m deep station on the Kugmallit shelf break. It has been cold (about 6C), cloudy and raining. Later that night the skies cleared. A pod of bowhead whales were sighted, with a little one. I saw them spout once one of the adults and baby together. Then I ran off to grab my camera, of course by the time I got back out on the aft deck they were gone.

The last week of our science cruise however we will be focusing on studying a bowhead whale feeding area, where I have been told we will be sighting whales all day, and they’ll be close enough to feed them (well may be not that close). That will be amazing. I hope to get some pictures.

No comments: